Profile of the Programme
The purpose of the program is to equip students with specialized knowledge in the field of adult education and vocational education and training through: (a) the attendance of relevant modules, (b) the study of relevant literature and (c) the possibility of doing practical training. Moreover, the programme aims at cultivating research skills through: (a) the attendance of specialized courses in quantitative and qualitative research and (b) either the undertaking of small scale research projects in the framework of various modules and/or the authoring of a postgraduate research thesis.
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
- Critically evaluate the basic theoretical concepts of the interrelated fields of Adult Education and Vocational Education and Training respectively.
- Recognise of the variety of programmes and structures that nowadays provide chances of lifelong learning as well as vocational education and training.
- Take advantage of ICTs as basic tools for providing contemporary forms of education and training falling within the realm of this program’s interests.
- Identify the education principles that can improve teaching effectiveness, as well as to compare the suitability of various teaching models for certain learning conditions (individual, group work, formal, non-formal).
- Use both quantitative and qualitative research approaches for exploring various relevant research questions.
- Realize the trends in the fields of Adult Education and the initial and continuing vocational education and training as results of broader trends in the field of European policy making and its national recontextualizations.
The graduates of the Programme have a wide range of skills, as well as knowledge of effective teaching practices.\
The range of professional opportunities for the graduates of the program is very extensive and indicatively covers the following categories:
- Structures providing initial and continuing vocational education and training (ΙΕΚ, ΚΕΚ, Apprenticeships Schools, Department of Human Resources Development in various companies, etc.).
- Structures offering lifelong learning programs to vulnerable groups of adults (Centers for Life Long Learning supervised by Local Authorities, Centers for Adult Education, Second Chance Schools, NGOs, etc.).
- Structure providing non formal or informal education programs combining education and cultural activities (Museums, Galleries, Cultural Foundations, Libraries, etc.).
Access to Further Studies
Graduates of the programme can be accepted into Third Cycle degrees (Doctorate Degree).