Profile of the Programme
Programme’s purpose and objectives
- The purpose of the programme is to offer knowledge and skills required for the identification, evaluation, and effective treatment of children with disabilities (special needs).
- The programme aims to develop research skills through:
- the attendance of special courses in quantitative and qualitative research,
- the undertaking of small-scale surveys within the different disciplines and/or a dissertation, and
- the practical training of students.
Upon completion of the programme students are expected to be able:
- To delve into the basic literature of special/inclusive education.
- To identify key concepts, principles and models of special/inclusive education and to transfer this knowledge in the school context.
- To examine critically research outcomes relative to special/inclusive education and think of their implications for schools and the educational system in general.
- To pinpoint problems at the school and/or the system level and plan and carry out research to address those problems.
- To critically analyse educational problems -considering their sociological, phychological and philosophical dimensions- and develop a rational course of action which will provide optimal solutions.
- To undertake leadership roles relative to the special/inclusive education area with the purpose of either improving practice or introducing new processes/ procedures.
- To contribute to the modernisation of practice in the special/inclusive education area, e.g. quality teaching, mainstreamed classes.
- To apply skills acquired during their study to tackle everyday problems, e.g. student/ programme me/system assessment, planning and decision making, communication with internal and external audiences, communication with parents and the family, supervision and counseling, teacher in-service training and development.
- To take advantage of the organization’s human capital to introduce improvements and new practices and procedures.
- To act as a catalyst of change and innovation and promote and sustain improvement in education.
- To draw up plans for teaching courses, to organize and apply by case the appropriate educational material and to assess their application either individually or in groups, children with disabilities or any other problems and disorders.
Οι πτυχιούχοι του προγράμματος έχουν τις παρακάτω επιλογές:
- Να επιδιώξουν διοικητική θέση σε επίπεδο σχολείου (π.χ. Διευθυντής, Βοηθός Διευθυντής) ή/και Υπουργείου Παιδείας και Πολιτισμού (π.χ. Επιθεωρητής).
- Να εργαστούν ως επιμορφωτές στο Παιδαγωγικό Ινστιτούτο.
- Να καταλάβουν ακαδημαϊκή θέση σε ίδρυμα τριτοβάθμιας εκπαίδευσης.
Access to Further Studies
Οι απόφοιτοι του Προγράμματος μπορούν να επιδιώξουν σπουδές διδακτορικού επιπέδου.