Profile of the Programme
Aims and objectives of the program are to:
provide students the opportunity for specialization in two particular fields of legal science, (a) European Business Law and (b) Human Rights and Social Justice, both at a theoretical and at a practical level. It provides postgraduate education to holders of a Bachelor in Law or of some other relevant Bachelor (Political Science, European Politics, IR, Economics etc.) Ιt mainly, but not exclusively, addresses itself to individuals who work or intend to do so in fields relevant to legal science (lawyers, judges, legal consultants or in general employees of companies and of other private sector entities or organizations, members of the public service or of some other public or semi-public agency or organization, members of non-governmental organizations, diplomats etc.)
It is expected that the program will provide its graduates with additional qualifications and that it will enhance their cognitive as well as their managerial capacities when dealing with issues relevant to Law; this will help them enrich their career opportunities. Graduates of the program also have the opportunity to pursue further studies at a PhD level.
The program particularly highlights special legal issues that are of great theoretical and practical importance, encouraging a comparative approach to legal science, within the contemporary European context. Provisions of national law are being taken in close co-examination with European law, with the aim of confronting contemporary problems and challenges in a theoretically informed, while practically efficient, way.
The main academic aims of the program are:
(a) the deepening of knowledge in specialized fields of legal science with theoretical and practical importance, as well as (b) the broadening of the understanding of legal science and of its implementation in a comparative European and International context. The program explores the function of national law and its interrelation with European and International Law. The methods of interpretation and of the application of law are analyzed in a practical context, while emphasis is given both to the theoretical parameters and practical implementation, with an overall view to enhancing the capacity of students to confront current challenges and problems, especially those they may be encountered in the European and International environment, either in the field of commerce and entrepreneurship, or in the field of human rights and social justice.
Students are given the opportunity to engage in academic research and the application of legal practices and models, gaining well-founded specialization in legal fields of particular importance.
It is noted that the Law School has been offering with great success a conventional classroom-based LLM in Law with specialization in the aforementioned fields (a. European Business Law and b. Human Rights and Social Justice) since 2013.
Upon successful completion of this program, the students should be able to:
– Develop knowledge of basic concepts, principles, notions, theories and models and apply them in special contexts within the cognitive field of legal science.
– Develop specific theoretical schemes and models, related to the content and to the particular objects of the cognitive field.
– Combine theoretical and empirical knowledge, so as to be able to tackle simple or complex issues that arise in professional areas of interest.
– Analyze and evaluate issues, problems and proposals in specific areas of law (normative and empirical approach).
– Evaluate procedures that aim at confronting problems in the field of legal science.
– Identify priority issues, which deserve analysis and evaluation at national, European or international level.
– Develop their own specific theories on which to base interdisciplinary and methodological approaches to specific issues and problems.
– Conduct independent research and combine the methodological and cognitive tools of legal science in an interdisciplinary manner, in order to deliver innovative approaches and proposals.
– Implement necessary analytical and communication skills required in order to engage in professional fields of interest, either on a national or international level.
– Develop managerial skills in accordance with the requirements of the legal profession.
– Utilize the necessary supplies and the associated culture in the pursuit of continuous improvement of their individual skills and competencies after the completion of their studies.