Profile of the Programme
The aim of the Programme is to acquire specialization in the modern approaches of Social Work at a theoretical and practical level. In particular, the knowledge they will acquire will enable them to more effectively practice the profession in public, non-governmental – voluntary and/or private social welfare organizations.
The main objective of the Programme is to develop a horizontal learning culture on social work issues both in Cyprus and in the European area. Students will be able to learn about modern social work theories and methods of assessment and intervention, current social policy, administration of social services as they operate at national and European level. At the same time, to explore the roles and principles of Social Work in a multidisciplinary context in the field of Health and Welfare.
This approach highlights the nature of Social Work, analyzes the way in which the different sectors and services are interrelated and interacting, and identifies issues that require particular attention in order to produce practical and applied knowledge in addressing current social problems and challenges for the discipline of social work.
The first specific objective of the Programme is to improve the efficiency and productivity of social workers and professionals working in the social welfare arena. The second specific goal is to understand social challenges posed by the rapid political, economic and social changes at European and global level.
Students will have the opportunity to study in depth challenges presented, to understand different models of prevention and coping with social crises and addressing new needs of service users, both at general and specific level. The Programme is structured in such a way as to gain an in-depth understanding in areas of particular interest.
Upon completion of the program the students are expected to be able to:
– Understand in-depth the concepts, theories and processes of social work that support the design and implementation of interventions in various social groups.
– They develop and formulate processes related to quality and equality in the provision of services to their organization’s employees.
– They recognize the ontological background of social theories, research and practice in the science of Social Work.
– Adopt practical skills related to planning, implementing and evaluating interventions on individuals, groups, communities and social organizations.
– They gain knowledge of research methods, their use and their applicability in exploring a wide range of organizational, community and social problems.
– They design and implement community programs aimed at promoting and developing social welfare.
– They analyze social policy and evaluate its implications and impact on service groups.
– Organize and manage effectively any kind of Social Service. Take leadership roles both in promoting social work and the profession of social worker, and in empowering / advocating social groups.
– Communicate successfully, collaborate and share information with other health and welfare professionals and organizations in identifying the need for change, implementing change strategies and effective program management.